Wednesday, June 25, 2008

I found the burr trail dinner and ate my burger.
I talked with fellow travlers.
A group of hikers I saw at Lower Calf Creek were there we talked and they then bought me my lunch.(Thanks gang) My last resturant was 12 days ago.

Having finished and the rain let up I proceeded on. I had to climb to get to Boulder over the million dollar road as they said. I crossed a ridge line bathed in the soaring sunlight. What use to be a sea of beatuy was now a clossal geolical wonder with pink, white , and dark gray, rocks yeilding the wonders left behind.

With that behind me now 6500 feet up I was headed into the pines. I contiued and thouight I was out of the town yet I found the welcome to Boulder pop 250. What seemed to be way out of town. Next to a hydro plant a half mile away from the road. With more climbing I slowly trudged on , this was going to be my second accent in a day or 4000 feet total, the thunder cells were to heavy with miosture and were dumping their contents on the mountain ahead. I timed the second wave by waiting and headed up.
It was an abnormal climb. I went climbing for miles it seemed but would only gain 2500 feet. I went from overheating to freezing. I had one slush drop hit my glasses when the third wave hit. I was passing over kings pasture and as long as I keept cycling t- shirt and shorts were just fine. Much better than overheating. the number of cattle was unreal on the range. The aspens, green grasses, and pines took this dessert boy home to Minnesota. The shield valcano Mt Boulder was 50000 acres of pleatu though it seemed I was always going up. At one of the ridges I stopped only to see a cyclist headed the same way.
"Let's go your going to loose the race ." I shouted with encouragement. We briefly talked and then found out we were headed in the same direction. Matt had been comming from just outside Bryce. We continued to climb looking for some water and a campsite.
The cattle were thick and hogging the road. At one point the cows were running down the road three young calfs doing there best to run. It was amazing sight to see Matt chasing on the downhilll the cows like a cowboy would on their horse. We passed several places where cows would rule the road, unable to determine what was going on in their minds we yelled and hoped for the best. It was like a video game dodging cows as we rode. .
At oak crest we found some water and a place to sleep further down from the campsite. There was a bear spottimg so bear bags were in full force.
Upon early morning we departed for the down hill. We summited the MT at 9600 feet the night before amonst another herd of cows. Now we could see the Capital Reef in the distance. To the east. After we again entered the canyons with the oldest red rusted rocks now in front of us erodded with wind. The older rocks were below us due to the monocline. The view was just another day at the office. Glover was a town but you couldn't blink from what we saw.
It was nice to ride with some else for change. Gaining heat from the lower elevation we made it to outside Torrey. They had an outdoors shop, vistor center, and a subway along with a gas store.
We stopped in the vistor center to find Scott who rides his bike too work. He guided Matt through his next ride. He just was down there yesterday. Water source none, temps hot, and also guided him not to go some other places.
My route to north was given and looking much easier. Thanks Scott.
I bought some much needed repplent and went to get some vegtables from subway. Yes I had been neglecting my vegtables.
After some internet time and a short break we continued it was now around around noon. It was a 1600 foot drop and the formations were unreal. We saw Stephanie from Germany taking pictures on her solo tour. (Car) talked for a little bit and left.
We entered the park and got our free backcountry permit. We would head up the cohab trail whicj over looked the valley.
We also took in a ranger talk about the geology. It alowed us also to escape the now heated valley (90). Corey informed us that the reef came from the olden days when it was a barrier to them. This was also one of only a few monoclines visible in the world.
After the informative show we wanted to see the park. We went to the camp ground and asked to drop our load. With light bikes we headed out for the ten mile dead end.
The trip down had the headwind and the hill. Fine by us.
We gazed at all the grandure before us. It was hot yet we were conditioned and hydrated.
Upon reaching the capital gorge now a dirt road we descend for a bit in the cannyon and gawked at what was before us. The cannyon was tight and had been carved by water. High above were the tops to the walls.
Leaving the cannyon we found some shade with metal picnic tables and rested.
The ride back was fast we were doing the speed limit of 25. A car was sitting behind us with bikes on top. Another car pulled out in front of me only to slow down to let me pass. The car also passed them.
Reaching the campground in no time we gathered our cycled in food. And headed to a park. Mule deer docile to humans quietly ate and even crossed the road as though a human. After eating with the deer I went and put my feet in the Freemont river.
The place establised in 1880s had huge shade trees along with a orchards.
next up was a place to sleep. We arranged to leave our gear at the camp site. (Thanks Matt). We then walked across the street to the chob trail. A seris of switch backs lead to the enterance to the cannyon where we stayed. Now up in elevation we overlooked the valley.
With everything ready we watched the sunset and also the hungry bats setting out for the night.

The monocline made the cannyon flow backwards angled down away from the valley below us.

The last two days were the first time I ever was able to tour with someone. It was a rare treat.
I did some growing up and was able to look at things from a different perspective. When touring you always are learning things to help and resolve. Note peanuts and heed.
Another added bonus I could ride abreast and all the cars seem to pass with great care execpt for one or two.
We did move over using my mirror to ride single file as cars appoarched. I found it odd pulling ahead of Matt using my trailer. I had to give him an extra four feet for my trailer.

Matt, a long distance racer now super touring cyclist. Was headed out for a 6 month stage one tour. Sigh I wish I could ride that far and take on that advwnture of his. He had three months in on his first tour ever. Leaving from St. Louis and going south to La, TX NM etc.
Matt is a great travel compainion, and I am glad I was able to ride for a few days. Even though I could never keep up on his tour. He is now headed on a journey that will take him 90 miles with out a water source. Good luck

......
Today I get up hiked down to save 7 buck$ the sleeping was really hard to get comfortable. I eventually fell asleep around 0000 to get up at 600. Then went up the 1600 foot climb. Just like a morning workout.
With the cool temps I made it to Torrey.
Talked with Zane and she feed me with my route description for the next hundred miles. Water yes, cannyons (white) yes, temps still warmer.
I would have a nice long flat valley for a change.
She also directed me to a coffe house. It was a house with a cicurlar point roof.
Robbers roost.
I filled up my batteries, intwrnet time and rested for my afternoon work out.
I did finnally get to a groccery store in Torrey. I bought enough food for 4 days.

Matt had been a great shot in the arm to boost my spirits. I also can read his blog at crazyguyonabike.com search long haul truckin.
See how he is doing along his tour.
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile