Sunday, July 27, 2008

So I collected water at the picnic ground next to the boat wash. They're trying to prevent mussels from getting in the water.
I ate my ranon, PBs, apricots, and had some ritz crackers. I manage to drink almost a half gallon of water right there.
I saw some thunderstorms coming my way and exited. I was having good luck dodging them over the last week and today it appears I remain dry. Even though it is raining all around me ha! Even at night I thought I was going to get rained and nope no rain for you. I can see why Gunnison has the title coldest place. For some reason this is a very cold place.
I went to my first site and playing by the rules no camp within a .5 mi literally took me out of the recreation area and onto state land where you need stamps.
I decided not to forge through to the National forest after all I had a back up plan. The lake is 96 miles long they say I believe it. I met a couple of tourist who looked prepared after I came out of Rainbow lake road. I had a nice graded hill. Today was pretty easy even when I went uphill. After crossing the dam was my hardest hill. Oh I loath 50 nice wide shoulder chopped up with rumble strips and wildflowers blocking your path. For Saturday it was busy. As I said it was an easy ride compared to the last several. Tomorrow I get to go back to the great forest land. I will be happy maybe not so happy to cross Monarch pass a 11500. I will make sure I take a rest day.
So I winded through the now Gunnison canyon with still has the lake beside me which gave way to more mesas on top. I finally arrived on some BLM land I had to turn around as I missed the road. Funny thing they don't say road 726 they say Gunnison wildlife area. Another ruse? Yet the smart and wily bunch will look at a map and go aha there is BLM just before I have to use those stamps. So now I am literally on the fence posts of state land as CO is filled with land you can't physically camp on due to a massive angles and sage brush the sage brush is evenly spaced for water rights. I managed to find a bare spot. The land was great no skeeters, ontop of a hill which looked over the valley and the river now which rain through with of course MTs in the back ground.

At any rate I am outside Gunnison and will head there tomorrow.
So today is sunday no library yet no blue laws either thank god (joke).
I arrived and started my searches after I arrived at a safeway which was from the 1950s. I knew there had to be another food store and there was. I don't like rip off palace. So I happily went out of my way and arrived at a better place.
The ride was pretty easy again river flowing up hill and me going semi down.
I was comming into town and all these old 50s motels sprang up to greet you right before the city.
The Rodeway inn won the 2008 best inn award. I was like what kinda obscure award is that for that crappy place.
I then passed the airport and found two frontage roads and the huge expansive 50 talk about a waste of space. You would score a touchdown each time you crossed the streets. After I got my food I pigged out. Yogurt, breakfast burrito, cookies oatmeal, coleslaw, and 3 string cheeses.
It seems I can't sleep on anymore. I managed to make it to 700 this morning out on the road by 800.
So now what to do?

Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile