Monday, July 28, 2008

Sunday Gunnison to Monarch crest
41 miles and climbed to 11312 feet
So after eyeing some thunderstorms and waiting as long as I can. I headed out of the city at 1500. It was bicycle city lots of them. I saw a half a dozen unlocked bikes at the grocery store.
There was art in the park I stopped there for a short bit. I also got a subway the usual. The ranger station didn't display a map but I had a picture of the map.
I also got some air at the Conoco since it was free.
I did some laundry, acquired food, and talked on the phone. I also picked up some screws. I was tempted to stay at the KOA but decided I could get some miles under my saddle instead. The ride continued to follow the river as it got narrow and lazy. I was still in a wide canyon with mesas abound.
For most of my adventure it was down hill I had the wide shoulder and still the water was on my side. . I was making some good time but it never reflects it. After about 20 miles and after Gunnison there was only service in Sergents. Which for 5 bucks a half gallon of milk no thanks. Amazing how gas is cheaper than milk.
The whole way I saw rain behind me and skeeters trying to bite me. Talk about motivation. I only got sprinkled on. At the end of the day sprinkles were a little heavy and I wrapped my gear up with a tarp. The shoulder dropped off as I entered the forest Gunnison. I had a huge shed on a trailer almost hit me and some idot who ran me off the road when he was passing a semi.
I started climbing shortly after Sergents. I had 9 miles of 6% not to much fun, but they had a lot pull outs and a second lane for mr all the way up. It was either wait somewhere at the bottom or climb I decided to climb given how safe Sunday night traffic is compared to Monday morning traffic. It took roughly three hours to ascend. I reached the top just before 0000 hours. I tried in vain for a place for my tent it was a little to hilly I walked up 906 and just when I am maybe going to get flat land "No public access". That figures. I then decided to hike back down this is going nowhere. After I got back I then did like all the other truckers ripped out my sleeping bag and tarp and slept till 0600 in the parking lot. No stealth here and no problems. Trying to find a place to sleep is a bitch. I then tried to climb this MT in daylight hours so I could watch my bike no dice.
So I am going to try a place a little closer to the road if that doesn't work I am going to use the Continental divide trail and descend a little see if I can't find a frikin piece of flat land. I am going to use the CD with the trail register if that happens. On 906. Since I know there is a creek (5 miles ouch) I can filter my water. (Hopefully or I will just come up after one night.)
Of course the view is out of this world and they have a gandala ride up to 12 foot peak for 7 bucks. Which when I climbed my MT I saw cell towers o joy. Well I am now 156 mi closer. Now that my tour is winding down I want it to be over and move onto the next fun adventure. Which will be a fast 600 mile an hour jet to MLPS for some relaxation and maybe some bike riding.
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile