Friday, August 1, 2008

So I woke up a little latter than normal and got out at 0730 hours. I rode up to 9300 trout pass seemed rather easy for 1200 feet. Of course all the semis and trucks wizzing by me sure didn't help much. Comming down I topped out at 37 miles since I had to move a little more than I wanted to be on the side of the road. With a 1 foot shoulder and very bumpy white line.
It was a no brainer I tried a different route. I found out why traffic was so stack. I took 24 to Hartsal. Another 13 miles. Up and down at one point the chip seal was pretty rough. It was about two miles out of my way, but anything to avoid 285. The town Hartsel was after SR9 so it was only 11 miles. SR 9 now below the interstate. Everyone was avoiding this because of construction. I still had my share of idiots and the route was going up. At point a huge started blowing his horn. Keep in mind all the semis never did. So I just took my lane by moving more left. After it was a nice passing zone and I am sure the rv could come back the other way. So why not pass me like any other vehicle eh?
At any rate I got to look at the 14s the whole way as there ahead and to the left, this portion of the trip was 17 miles.
At one point for about .5 miles they reduced it to one lane. I was told by the flagg man that I could ride in the dead lane. I did. I only had to wait long enough to get off my bike and grab some water and they flag man let our lane go.
Amazing how a new road doesn't warrant a shoulder. Considering this was an AcA route. I will say all the truckers too extra caution when passing me. Most of them had to slow down and wait to move over and pass me proper.
Fairplay is nestled in the MT. By now I was biking and resting. The last five miles felt forever with a head wind. I also saw a bicycle 76 sign not sure what that ment but if it gives me a wide lane then great.
So a nice long rest and then my red hill climb. Since I didnt loose to much during my ride I should have only a few thousand to climb.
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile