Wednesday, July 23, 2008

After completing my interview with Brandon on Plum TV ch 16 I went to the Aspen library. I got a half an hour of internet. I asked if I could get a copy of the interview with the intention of stopping by on the way out of town.
I took that time at the library to plan my route to Gunnison I figured 7 days maybe do some hiking in the black canyon recreation area.
So after that I charged my batteries read some news and looked at the Colorado gazette map.
Heading on out on 82 was torn apart, but they did have a bike path. I kept to the road as I tend to find them hard to navigate with a trailer and in general. They really like using roundabouts here in central CO about time we demanded more from drivers.
I went by the airport totally forgetting to stop. Maybe it was that big downhill, the traffic, planes, or too focused. I missed my chance. 82 is a four lane highway with stoplights (freeway)
The Airport sits alongside 82. I was watching a couple planes take off over head. They use the right lane as the HOV not sure how that works. This allows a bus easy access to the bus stops along the road. Weird to have bus stops along the rural freeway. So I am going down hill to Basalt I would reach 6800 feet by the time I was down in Carbondale. A nice 3000 foot plug. I reached Basalt and ordered Subway my first fast food since Rawlins WY. Lovely tuna and veggies.
I checked my messages and I see plum "Ben's big bike ride".
Wow that was fast! I only now needed to go back and retrieve my gift. No problem there hop on the bus and I will be back on tour in no time. Thanks Jon!
I bought some water (gallon) and a pop it was going to be a long day.
First the bike express which is two fold you can only board with bike at certain stations. Hence bike express, that and they allow lots of bikes in the bus. It costs an extra 2 bucks. One ride back up hill please?
I myself locked my bike and then took the another bus right after that. I arrived shortly and I was amazing how long it took me to cycle that. Even going down hill. The shoulder was huge, but debris and these drainage grates didn't help much.
I picked up my DvD and was off. I headed back to my bike in Basalt.
So know I could see the afternoon thunderstorms all black and foreboding.
I hopped on my bike and was doing about 30 with tail winds and the hill. A lady playfully stuck out her thumb as she waited for the bus. I was like right on as I zoomed past. The rain started and I kept a 27 mph pace trying desperately to get ahead until I have shelter. A few drops of cold reminders helped immensely. Just as I thought I would need to buckle down, I broke ahead and then made it into Carbondale. The shoulder drops off for construction and I need to turn left. This is where I forced my way onto the highway. I had nothing else I could do those orange barrels were coming up fast. I got them to move over (fiercely signalling to try the second lane, and after about a hundred feet I was able to turn onto 133 now using the left lane and then turn lane at the stoplight. Of course more construction on the bridge so I just took the lane and finally made it into Carbondale.
I then went to the library to watch myself (DvD) and get out of the rain I stayed there about 2 hrs and the rain stopped.
I didn't do to bad, I had some errors. I found it hard to describe my route for some reason. I sputtered on a word and didn't use forest instead park.
I looked ok and my gear wasn't to bad, even though I just threw on the food I bought instead of packing it.

I couldn't believe that was two mins seemed really short. Brandon did a great job pulling it all together.

After leaving this old town lined with the victorian facades and ped friendly layout. I headed over to get the last of my food and head out.
I ate a cinnamon roll, deli fries, 3 string cheeses, and had some rasions.
Now being night time I headed out for a three hour tour. This is known as the west elk scenic route. On Friday and Saturday I was on the Top of the Rockies route. For obvious reasons. My days went like this. Friday I went down and then up, on Saturday I went up, down, and up, on Monday I went down, and Tuesday I went up and Wed went down into Hotchkiss. We are talking about climb and descents of more than 1500 feet and up to 4000 feet.
133 had a 14 foot lane which was really nice now in the dark. My light finally died and I put fresh batteries. As you can tell I hate night riding. I want to see things. This was my second set of batteries. Yet I was in the forbidden zone of camping. After around 10 miles of cycling in the void I saw the White River Forest. Yet it was an illusion. For starters no camping withing 1/4 mile from Crystal River. Um I am in a valley with the river right next to me. Of course you could live within 1/4 mile. As I continually seen mailboxes. All of the roads in the forest were named. Until I got on top of Mclures pass were no one wanted to live all of a sudden I am at 517. Still even named Hunters Ridge. At least this was signed. Never saw 313 or 317, yet I could see a dark forest sign.
Another ruse to keep you away?
The forest that never was a forest until you got to an unpopular spot high above the valley where they close the road in winter at times.

Forced to play a hand I saw falling rock next 13 miles.
This means scenic and more importantly your last chance to find level ground. With out knowing, this is what the sign says to me.
I then found a wash or an inlet on Monday late night that would take me back a 100 feet. This ladies and gentleman is the proper distance from any water source or trail. Not some phony 1/4 mi. to keep people away. I looked for signs of recent activity, it would funnel right onto the road, pine cones and needles would be washed away, and it did rain yet no stream.
I did a 180 and propped my bike up against a tree. Almost turning my ankle in the process on a loose rock the size of a large potato.
I then found a safer place for me. I took my tarp and sleeping bag and found some level ground. Most likely a pond formation.
I got a whopping 4 hours of sleep and my body revolted at the thought of waking up to cycle. All those mailboxes would be coming to work. So they could collect some mail in the forest.
I woke up about 5 mins before the alarm (445) I got up strapped my gear on and slowly started out. The success of highbeamers in Co so far has been 20 % fail rate much better than Utah's 90%.
The sun started to break the overcast which kept me moist and semi warm from the late night chill. Light gave way and I made it into Redstone. Which like the name is in a Red Canyon. Which I can now see. I also looked at the Coke ovens which processed coal. Of course some how they managed not to let you near them, as though they were going to start up the operation tomorrow, and any my neglect (misuse) would send then into decay.
Yeah right.
So off I went, I met for the third day in a row a lone female cyclist riding off to some destination or passing me.
I then continued it looked like the road was going down hill and the river going up. The Crystal river was raging with all the glory.
I then saw my pass Mclures pass. Only 8768 Feet yet it proved steep and viscous. 3 miles of ouch and slowness.
Still a nice wide lane though.
I made it to the top and crashed sleeping that was. Receiving the sleep I needed I woke up and gorged on gronola bars, apricots, chicken, OJ, and cranberries. I found a stream nearby to act as a refrigerator for my Milk and OJ. Tonight I will gorge again. A nice easy day. More of a staging point. Not many places to sleep ahead of me.
An extra ten miles and a 2000 foot climb and some rest will help erase some of that. I will most likely try to squeeze a little father ahead. Knowing I can turn around I still have some climbing to do.
I stayed where I was, and it proved the right thing to do as there wasn't any more camping further than a mile.

At any rate there is this town called marble which harvests Marble ha! They built the Tomb of the unknown soldier. Lincoln , and the Denver Capital. Now defunct it was suppose to be really good marble.

I stayed there the night no rain only a sprinkle. I still put my gear in my tent.
I had a tomato, chicken, gronola bars, and apircots.

I started reading Tai- Pan which is taken from the 1850s wow and neat.

I woke up a little later on Tuesday ha! 630 this time put my gear on and headed out. I still had the crown of the hill so I walked a little ways and got on my bike.
I then went about 2000 feet and was in the Gunnison National Forest this was short lived.
I would descend 3000 feet making it to Hotchkiss. I had some good runs topping out at 38 miles one time. First I was in the valley for about 3 hours. Poania lake was beautiful as I winded my through the valley. It was a man made lake with an earthen dam. With cliffs on my right side and the lake on the left. The shoulder became 6 feet after the lake, with a rumble strip. Of course debris would make it horrible. I crossed the north fork of Gunnison river and entered the coal towns.
I passed by the coal towns of Somerset and Bowie. At the time coal was being loaded one car at a time.
I then made it about 12 miles out of Hotchkiss and I got no shoulder WTF? The drivers made up for the lack of shoulder. I then saw Paonia which placed a P in white along a hill. This is common in Utah towns.
They had fruit orchards and wine. I wasn't into wine tasting.
Now rolling hills greeted me outside the valley from the 12 mi mark. Up and down how tired are you?
It was getting hotter dropping below 6000 feet. I reached Hotchkiss yet no cell bummer. I went through the downtown and doubled back to the closed museum and then found the fairgrounds. This would be the closest fairgrounds to the city I have seen/been yet.
The town boasted a food store and hardware store that was about it for coperate america. Mostly home town business.
My first time below 6000 feet in a long time. Hot and 87.
I would of course be going uphill after I left this town. The clouds don't looks so friendly where I came from. Hope that is going away from me. I already have 40 miles and need another 20. Good thing I rested. This is a nasty stretch of don't camp here.
The fairgrounds did have water and I was debating if I want to go to the food store.
After checking things out things out they allow camping for 3 dollars. I was all over that, restrooms, water, picnic tables, and electricity. Some people charge 15 dollars and don't even provide water. I then ate some canned pasta, green beans, apricots, and a couple of PB tortillas for my lunch. I then rested a bit. Noticing the rain I hit the library to update my blog and wait for the rain to end. I manage to hit this on the right day as they are open late. It was nice and chilly from the soaring heat. You have to love your library.
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile