Monday, July 21, 2008

After spending the night at Hale I departed early at 700 hours. I was packing my gear up when, a guy pulled up in his car hopped out and was in an army uniform. He wanted directions to the bow hunting thing how ironic defunct army base.
I have seen lots of wildlife over the last couple days, porcupine, ram, fox, a dozen dear allotted together not all at once, beaver, and chipmunks.
I was at 9200 feet they call it Pando valley. Right after leaving the valley I climbed Tennessee pass 10400 feet. 5 miles. My first crossing of the great divide.
A bicycle lady passed me going double the speed. I also talked to Jeff my first ped I saw on my trip. He camped at Hale also. Some nice people left some water for cyclists about the same time I saw Jeff. We talked briefly he and I strode up the pass. He came from Copper Mt. He was a fast hiker. He went over another pass to get to Hale and I took the longer way a road.
I soon figured out this was a popular bicycle loop route considering you can take 91 and 24 giving you a century. Or close. Lots of roadies.
There was a construction zone and we had to wait with the flag man. MT Albert at 14443 feet is the highest of the 48 states. I looked on.
As we were getting ready to leave I got handed a stake which would make me the last person in line. When I got there I moved over so the waiting oncoming traffic could use the one lane.
I took a short break and talked with Ma her son was the flaggman and her daughter was another flagwoman. She was the one who told me about Albert. Kinda weird standing in the oncoming lane with a line of cars in front of you. After that it was a small lane with a big dirt patch people had to plow over this to pass me ha!
Finally a way to slow them down.
I got into Leadville after one more hill at 10200 feet it made me lethargic. I was going to the minning museum until they said 7 bucks. Sure not only do they exploit earth they also exploit people. I got back on my bike previously I went to a food store to pick up some milk a few items. I left to go look at the forest ranger station but it was closed on Sat. I left Leadville. It was a nice long downhill run with the Arkansas river by my side. This also was the head waters for it.
I then exited on 82 to Aspen. First 6 miles to Twin Lakes city and $ 2.34 a litter of water. I then went over to the visitor center and found my camping spot. I then headed out to Independence pass I was noticing some black clouds behind me due to Massive MT I thought I could beat it and then with the sun shinning a sprinkle which turned into a 30 min down pour. I found a trail head and covered my bike with the tarp, then I took shelter in a mass of evergreens. The clouds soon broke and I was heading for the sunshine.
Which never left my view. I then reached the pass and started climbing. The pass was brutal and cold with snow all around me. It felt as though I was in a refrigerator.
I climbed the pass making two continental divide crossings in one day.
I stopped at the scenic overlook at found a spot to put my tent up. I was going to push the issue, if someone wants me to move then so be it. I woke up around and waited with the sunrise at 12000 feet. It felt a lot warmer now for some reason. I don't even see my breath. I left the rain fly off so the tent could dry off.
So with that this my rest day. I will once I can see head down to my forest road and make a new camp. I didn't quite make it last night.
My goal has been met. Today just sleep. Monday 15 miles to Aspen. Then another 30 to 133. My new extension is a lot of miles. So I want to push my self in the beginning. If I can knock out route 82 by the 21st of July. I will still have 15 days left. Roughly 300 miles left that should be easy if no problems arise. Who knows I still have one more extension option.
Which takes me through Pikes peak park. My last 6 days have been wonder full. Good thing I didn't just sit down in the forest and wilt.

I woke up with sunrise well a little before on Sunday. This was my highest camp at 12000 feet. Having cycled for 10 hours on Saturday and then a short nap at night I was tired.
I have know added artic tundra to my list of environments.
It was like a stale air to cold to bring any more life than six inches of grass and flowers. The snow was still plenty which created small arctic pools.
After getting all the pictures I could take I mounted my bike and went over the top of the Independence pass. I found a nice water fall by mi. 60 (are everywhere) and collected some water. Then again gazed at the valley below for a few mins. I then continued to upper lost man trail. I decided to find something easier. So I went to Lower lost man trail. There I filtered 1.5 liters of water. Ate green beans, animal crackers, ramon noodles, cranberries, and had PB tortillas. My stash is getting low. Still have some food but need some more after my oatmeal spilled out in my panniers. I hope Aspen doesn't jack me on food.
After my huge feast I packed a small cache of food and got my hiking gear in order. I hiked about a half hour and found a spot over a dry ravine (hope it doesn't rain).
Level ground, 100 feet from a trail or water is very hard to find. Which is why I didn't do upper lost man.
Getting up so early made me sleepy so I went to bed and then read some of my novel.


I finished the Da Vinci code off my novel finished. Off PBs most of my animal crackers and raisins. The day was refreshing cool. With night fallen onto me I slipped on my warm gear and fell asleep at 10,000 feet.
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile