Thursday, July 24, 2008

Crawford to Crawford
I decided unkownly to go to the Black Canyon National forest of Gunnison.
It started out ok but I got bad directions.
I had to traverse a huge canyon say 500 feet down and up. It was blazing hot by this time I had sweated enough to fill a kiddie pool.
The scenery in and on top of the canyon was amazing. I hit 30 going down this would be the shallow side.
I then started my climb 1000 feet in 10 miles. I then missed my turn off due to bad directions. I was looking for a paved road when I should have gone done the gravel. This took me about 7 miles out of range. Now noon time I was really roasting and had to traverse more fri kin gravel. I made it back to the original road and there was tar and more climbing. The crappy directions said four miles of gravel. So I was waiting and climbing. Then at last through the dripping sweat I saw the road change. Yet more bad news they laid down Mag chloride which made everything muddy. So now I have four miles of mud to go through. Still climbing. Since this was volcanic rock the flow caused this hill verses like most canyon which you go down.
So I get to the gate and another four miles of gravel. I am gonna die. So now 13 miles of gravel which finally is down hill. Of course I dare not go at lighting speed. So finally I get to the ranger station 330 hours later at 1330 hours and its closed. WTF.
There is no primitive camping at the National Park WTF. Considering how primitive the park is anyway in every form of the word.
So disgusted I take in the view of the canyon and leave. I could have stayed on BLM just outside the park. Yet why wake up to 6 miles of gravel, the chance of rain, and not wanting to go back to visit the park.
So I went down hill and came back. It was a lot faster coming back mind you.
I did loose a screw and had to replace it. I do have another option only 10 miles away. So why not start the day off right. Rather than starting from a dead end.
Of course by the time it was 1200 I had all but lost my shower. Which is why I never go out of my way to get one. A sponge works just as good.
So today I will have done 50 miles and gone 20 towards my destination. Oh joy!
The view was lovely though amazing. Only a hand full of people were there.
So carry on I got ten more miles. Tomorrow will have some lovely scenery.
Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile